RYA Essential Navigation and Safety Online
Basic navigation course, first step!
Capstan Sailing School is pleased to offer an online course, Essential Navigation and Safety, accredited by the RYA.
- This course is ideal for budding skippers and crew
- This course provides perfect preparation for our Competent Crew and Day Skipper practical courses.
- Materials include plenty of illustrations, videos, animations and paper materials (charts, navigation instruments and books) – everything you need to start the exciting journey to becoming a skipper!
Interactive Online Modules
- Buoyage System
- Pilotage Techniques
- Weather Forecasts and their sources
- Basic Passage Planning
- Basic Rules of the Road
- Tides and currents
- Introduction to GPS and Electronic Charts
Assistance during the course
Your course includes access to one of our RYA qualified instructors, either via email or via telephone. If you ever get stuck, give us a call!
- Course notes (Study materials, Essential Navigation and Safety booklet)
- Set of dividers
- CD with chart plotter and charts.
- Paper practice charts
- Northern Hemisphere Training Almanac.
During the course
- We register you on the RYA Interactive website, with full access to the course materials – videos, animations, illustrations, exercises and tests
- RYA accredited professional instructor, to guide you through the course and provide any assistance you may require, via email or telephone.
Successful candidates will be awarded an RYA Essential Navigation and Safety certificate. Successful completion of a course will give you the confidence to go onto a Competent Crew Practical course or to feel a much more useful member of your sailing crew.